Stone - Chief Cat Of The House

paws2016
Site Admin

Stone - Chief Cat Of The House

Postby paws2016 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Stone

Rank - Chief Cat Of The House

Skills - Feral kitten wrangler extrordinaire, superb mouser, accomplished charmer, human caretaker, cat management

stone.sm.jpg

In early 2010 I adopted an FIV positive cat name Stone that was held for me at a shelter in KY for quite awhile after I’d seen his photo on myspace and had to find a transport to Rhode Island where I live. He seemed like a perfectly good cat that the clock was ticking fast on his time at the Daviess County Animal Shelter in Owensborough, KY. Once the wonderful staff there knew I was working on a transport they managed to keep him past his euthanasia date until I could arrange it, and I am so grateful they did.

When Stone eventually made it to RI, he came into a house that for the first time had no cats or dogs living there as the last cat I had passed away the year before. Within minutes Stone knew he was home and was up on my bed dancing the happy paws dance and kneeding away at the blanket. But that simple beginning led to a whole lot more.

There had been an explosion of abandoned cats and ferals in my area after the financial meltdown in 2007 and 2008. The spring after Stone arrived I had a mom cat bringing 3 tiny kittens down to eat. I found Alley Cat Allies and was referred to someone in my area to teach me about TNR. The mom and the sister kitten were both pretty intractable so they indeed were released. The two brother kittens adapted quickly to the indoor routine and started socializing well so I decided to keep them.

That was when Stone went into action. I was stunned to see him do things like literally tossing his paw over the kittens shoulders and hold them in place while he taught them how to groom themselves. He actively taught them everything they needed to know to become successful cats.

And that was only the beginning. As I worked my way through the abandoned and homeless cats in my neighborhood trying to put a stop to the explosion, the original mom cat disappeared only about a month after I released her. Worried about the sister kitten I managed to trap her and decided I’d let the wheels of socializing turn.

Over the next few years I took in as many as I could at any given time, gradually developing a system to take feed and care for more and more cats. Three others I did tnr with eventually got picked off and I was very worried, so I took the others all in until I had the neighborhood cleaned up. Stoney, the Chief Cat Of The House, it was amazing to see him work with each cat as it came into our home, his understanding of the hardships the other cats had gone through outside, and his kindness to every new face that comes into the house..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Our Cats”